Saturday, December 31, 2022

A Few, Parting 2022 Thoughts

In past years, when I've come to this point on the calendar, I've usually aimed for big-picture statements about where the U.S. is, where I think it's going, and where I hope to see it go.  Sometimes, I've aimed to be a little more personal, whether it's discussing my wife's immigration law practice, or the medical issues faced by one of my grandchildren.  But for the most part, I've wanted to write about us.  Not me.

But this year's a little different, as it may have an impact on this blog.

Not on its existence.  But on its schedule.  And perhaps in other ways as well.

Over the past several years, I've launched a production company dedicated to producing plays (and perhaps, at some point, films) written by members of historically marginalized communities:  women, Blacks, peoples of color, and LGBQT authors.  I've been working with one playwright over the past few years on a play she wrote and submitted to the Baltimore Playwrights Festival.  I'm a reader for the Festival, which is how I found her play.  I was very deeply impressed by it, and think that it deserves an audience.  With that in mind, I have optioned it, worked with her on re-writes, found a director, and scheduled a reading of it at Theatre West in Los Angeles for next month.  Needless to say, I'm very excited about doing this, even though I obviously can't say how far this venture will go.  That will ultimately be up to audiences to decide.  But I'm very hopeful that this one will be received, and received well.

As for the blog?

Well, depending on how things go, you may find me talking a lot more about my producing efforts, which will cut into my political commentary.  Depending on how things go, I may end up setting up a second blog, so that I can keep the focus here on politics and political issues, while having a separate space for talking about producing.  If that happens, I'll include a link in a post here, so that you can check it out.

But TRH, in any case, is not going away.

I'll still be here.  I'll be with all of you, riding the same crazy ride we're all taking together, especially with a new GQP House that can't even choose who's going to lead it.  (Spoiler alert:  I have a sneaking suspicion Kevin's not going to make it.)

I'll be saying whatever I have to say, to help you make sense of all of it.  And, frankly, to help myself doing the same thing.  To be honest, one of the things that blogging here has done it to help me put the pieces together.  It's made me read more.  It's made me think more.  And it's been an outlet for my passion and anger about what's going on in this country, when I've really needed one.

But, more than anything, I appreciate those of you who read it.  I hope that it's been of at least some value to you.  I wish all of you, and those in your lives, the happiest possible New Year, and I look forward to continuing this journey the same way we've been taking it so far.

Together.

No comments: