Saturday, July 22, 2017

A Few Words Of Explanation

I didn't write as much in June as I normally do and, as you can see, I'm off to a somewhat late start for July.  The main reason for this is something I discussed in an earlier post.

The surgery that my oldest granddaughter had in late June went as well as could be expected.  She stayed in the hospital for a few days less than was originally expected--ten days instead of two weeks. One happy consequence of that stay, given when it occurred, is that she and her parents got to see the fireworks in downtown Baltimore on the Fourth of July from the Johns Hopkins Childrens' Center, a tall building that, by virtue of its location, commands a view of the Inner Harbor from which the fireworks are launched.

During her hospitalization, my wife, with some help from me, watched our youngest granddaughter to enable her parents to focus their attention on her sister.  My stepdaughter and son-in-law are caring and dedicated parents; they alternated spending each night with my oldest granddaughter, and have done everything humanly possible to get her through all three of the surgeries she has had on her heart.  On the last Saturday of June, my wife and I took our youngest granddaughter down to see her sister and her parents.  The six of us spent time together in the very large, well-supplied playroom, where I allowed my oldest granddaughter to beat me at Monopoly Jr..

She has now been out of the hospital for two-and-a-half weeks, and just started day camp this past week.  Since her discharge, she has been under a number of dietary and activity restrictions which should be lifted as time passes.  If all continues, as we hope and pray, to go well, she will start kindergarten this fall.

All of these surgeries that she has had are palliative in nature.  There is no "cure"; the closest thing to that would be a full heart transplant, which she may have to undergo in another ten years.  But, hopefully, the surgeries will enable her to get more oxygen in her blood and allow her to grow and function more normally.  One thing she has going for her is that she is a tough little girl; she even refused to take prescription-strength pain killers although she was in very real pain.  If that counts for anything--and I believe it counts for a lot--she has a lot going for her, even with her heart condition.

And something else she has going for her are not only the doctors, nurses and other staff members at Hopkins, but the many family members, friends, co-workers, and others who helped out during a very trying time for all of us, whether with actions for words (and prayers count as both).  Our sincerest and inexpressible thanks to everyone.

And now, back to the news, fake and otherwise ...

No comments: