Friday, December 31, 2010

Forty-Five Minutes Before 2011 ...

... I decided to look back at my first post for 2010.  In it, I expressed a hope that we would not have a rerun of the 1994 elections.  Well, we only had a partial rerun; that's bad enough.  I also expressed the hope that comprehensive immigration reform might resurface.  Instead, even the relatively modest and compassionate DREAM Act got summarily kicked to the legislative curb.

Most disturbing of all to me, however, was the fact that we are much further away now than we were then from being a nation that argues and gawks less, and thinks and builds more.  But giving up simply makes one a collaborator with the bad guys.  You remember how hard you worked for change in 2008?  Well, get out of the tea bagger dumps, and work harder!  Your values are the only ones that ensure any type of future for any of us.

Most of all, if you're out there and reading this, on Blogger or Twitter, drop me a line.  Give me feedback, positive or negative.  If you are there, and this blog has helped you in any way, I'm grateful.  If you're not out there ... well, it's fun to write anyway!  And I'm grateful for the fact that the Internet helps us to communicate, organize, and build a better nation.  Thank you, Al Gore!  (Well, he may not have invented the Internet, but he helped expand its range and utility for all of us.)

So, what hope to express for 2011?  The same one for last year.  We've never needed to heed that hope more than we need to, now.

NOLI ARROGANTIUM INIURIAS PATI!  And HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: