Saturday, August 13, 2016

A Few Words Of Political Advice For Millennials

I've said what I'm going to say here before, but I'll say it again, since it bears repeating.  Especially after I read an article like this one, and believe me, I've read plenty of them.

OK, millennials.  You don't like Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump.  Well, I'm not a millennial.  I'm a Boomer.  My generation was and is, deservedly, famous for being the then-most demanding generation when it comes to EVERYTHING in life, including politics.  We didn't like our choices any more than you like yours.  My first Presidential campaign (technically, the second one I worked in, but the first one I followed from start to finish) was in 1972.  McGovern versus Nixon.  People back then felt the same way about those candidates that you feel now about yours.  I remember my high school newspaper printing a cartoon showing both candidates saying to each other "You stink!"  That was 44 years ago.  Somehow, we made it through Nixon, Watergate, Reagan, Iran-Contra, Bush, Gulf War I, Bush II, 9/11 and Gulf War II, and got to where we are today.  Where we're lucky enough to have all of you as our children and grandchildren.

So you and the country will survive this election.  That's the first piece of good news.  The second is this:  we made our country a better one by getting involved in the political process, whatever our other faults may be.  And now, it's your turn to return the favor.

Keep on doing what you did with Obama in 2008 and 2012, and did with Sanders this year.  And keep on doing it, despite the setbacks and disappointments.  It's the only way anything ever gets better. And it's the only way anything will get better.

Believe me, everybody noticed you this year.  The political establishment noticed you.  Bernie Sanders clearly noticed you, and he clearly hasn't given up on your potential, and neither have the candidates who have followed his lead.  You should keep on following it.  Yes, all the way into the mouth of the beast itself.  It's always been, and still is, the only way the beast is going to get any tamer, and starts responding to you instead of working against you.

No comments: