Sunday, August 12, 2012

Another October Surprise From The GOP?

Or, as I prefer to call it, treason?

In 1980, Jimmy Carter had a lead over Ronald Reagan up to the last week before the election.  Suddenly, that lead disappeared, as a last-minute uptick of hope for the release of American hostages in Iran suddenly fizzled.

Well, it didn't fizzle on its own.  Emissaries from the Reagan camp contacted the Iranians, and promised them a better deal than the Carter administration was offering them--provided that they keep the hostages until after the election.  The Iranians gave the Republicans what they wanted, and Reagan became President, thereafter launching the slow-motion destruction of the American Republic.

(In case you didn't know, now you do:  treason was the seedbed of the so-called Reagan Revolution.  And, just in case you still think democracy exists in this country, this particular act of treason was never even investigated, let alone prosecuted.)

I mention all of this now because I've noticed a number of conservative sources recently citing 1980 as the template for a Romney comeback and landslide.  Makes you wonder what else they have up their sleeve.

If it's another act of treason, they should pay the ultimate price.  And, if I were Obama, I'd watch my back, and do everything I could to ensure that the act never gets committed in the first place.

No comments: