Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I Once Was Blind, But Now I See

I like to think that I have some insights into the evangelical portion of the VRWC, simply because, for the first 12 years of my adult life, I was a born-again Christian.  It was something I drifted into at a time when I had no real anchor or direction in my personal or professional life, and I stayed with it until it stopped helping me make sense of the world--and when I started to ask myself a disturbing question:  if God only wanted us to believe, why did He/She/It/They give us the ability to think?  So I started to trust myself to make decisions--and I've never regretted it, nor do I feel that I'm less of a believer in God for it.  As I've told several people, it's easier to hold onto God's hand when you use a looser grip--the kind that Fundamentalists, who map out God's will for everything (including taking out the garbage), don't approve of having.

In my experience, you either are born into being born-again, or (as I did) you drift into it.  I'm glad to see, in this case, that you can be born into it, leave it, and find as I did that there is life after being born-again.  Never forget:  not all Fundamentalists are Christians--and not all Christians are Fundamentalists.

No comments: