Sunday, August 29, 2010

An Obituary Worth Noting

This one.

My first exposure to him was as Richard Nixon's dogged defender during the Watergate scandal, followed, of course, by his memorable "Point/Counter-Point" sparring with Shana Alexander on "60 Minutes."  In an era dominated by liberals and liberal commentators, I respected his willingness to stand up for what he believed, even as I vehemently disagreed with all of it.  He seemed to treat his political opponents with personal respect, something that is sadly missing in today's environment.  I must admit that, had I known about his earlier and equally vehement opposition to civil rights, I would have looked less kindly on him.

Still, for all of that, he possessed one quality missing in today's political discourse:  when he was wrong, he was willing to admit it, candidly and publicly.  For an outstanding example of this--one that I think I will never forget--click on this link.

No comments: