Sunday, August 18, 2013

An Absolute Disgrace

It's bad enough that we underfund the arts to the extent that we do, given their economic as well as their cultural impact.  But to allow the two main cultural agencies to go rudderless for months at a time is an absolute disgrace.  It's not as if there aren't a surplus of qualified people willing to do the jobs.  I would be half-tempted to throw my own hat in the ring, if I thought it would make a difference.  Unfortunately, I'm sure that it won't.

I referred to Obama as King Barack the Timid in an earlier post.  I'm afraid this may be another example.  Everyone with a stake in the arts (which, in fact, is all of us, whether we realize it or not) should get on the phone with the White House and not let up until there are two nominees.  Pronto.

No comments: