Sunday, June 23, 2013

Is There A "Cure" For Fundamentalism?

This article raises the possibility.  Frankly, as much as I hate all forms of fundamentalism, this approach to combating it scares me.  It sounds like it's only a few steps away from the world of "A Clockwork Orange," in which free will is thrown out the window for the sake of "curing" criminal tendencies.  I'm reminded of C.S. Lewis' observation:  "You do not have a soul.  You are a soul.  You have a body."  I'm not particularly religious, but I'm spiritual enough--and rational enough--to believe that the best "antidote" to fundamentalism is one in which two or more souls use the brains they've been given to argue fundamentalism out of existence. 

If anything, when we try to "program" people into one or more states of belief, I would argue that doing so is a victory for fundamentalism.  And fundamentalism doesn't need to have any victories handed to it.

No comments: