Sunday, March 24, 2013

"Enemy Action" For Conservatives?

In Ian Fleming's "Goldfinger," the title character has this to say to James Bond, after 007 has created trouble for him on three separate occasions:

"Mr. Bond, they have a saying in Chicago:  'Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time it's enemy action.' "

Not long ago, I commented on a remarkable analysis of conservatism's present state in America by a conservative.  As I said in my post, I do not consider reasonable thinking by conservatives to be unusual; still, as a conservative assessment of the end of Reaganism and the reasons for it, I regarded it as happenstance, because it was the first one I had seen.

However, not long after that, I saw this from Peggy Noonan.  Coincidence?  Possibly.

In any event, I think Ross Douthat has pushed it here to the level of enemy action, especially given the fact that he includes a link to the first article to reinforce his analysis.

Let's hope that, in this case, "enemy action" leads to the end of the latter-day Goldfingers of the world, who share with him a love of wealth for the sake of power.

No comments: