Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Are We Running Out Of Planet?

I've suspected for some time that we are.  Of course, I tell people this, and they look at me like I'm crazy.  Maybe I should invite them to read this, and see if the still feel the same way.

It's this simple, folks.  Either we perfect a means for interplanetary travel, or we start to build an economy based entirely (or almost so) on reusing existing materials.  Arguably, we should do both; it wouldn't surprise me if research for one field led to developments in another.  After all, a great many things that we take for granted today (including the PC on which this blog is being typed) are by-products of research related to our space program.

What we need to stop doing, in any case, is acting as if we live on an infinite planet.  Only God, and the universe, are infinite.  Everything else has boundaries.  We defy them not only at our peril, but at the peril of all of us.

No comments: